1.31.2009

Listen Up!


So, I'm a pretty big music fan and this band above (click the link watch their videos and listen to their music) has been the object of my affection for quite some time now so I thought I would share with the rest of the world the magic of Uh Huh Her.

Uh Huh Her is an LA based indie electro pop duo, think Blonde Redhead with a bit of GoldFrapp, a little Bjork, and a dash of Azure Ray. They're a special hybrid of computer generated sounds and talent generated instrumentation. The duo consists of Camila Grey (formally of Mellowdrone) and Leisha Hailey (who is more well known as a character on Showtimes The L Word).  They are a fairly new group only having their start in 2007 when Leisha made a call to Camila, whom she met through mutual friends, to ask if she would be interested in starting a band. Camila said yes and I suppose the rest as they say is history.

Common Reaction is their first full length album which was a follow up to their first EP I See Red. In all honesty Common Reaction has been in my iPod and CD player for the past, oh ,six months give or take. The album opens with their first single 'Not a Love Song' which is a pulsing dancey track that layers their angelic voices with a bass line that keeps your toes tapping. The follow up single (which is also the second song on the album) is 'Explode' which I would say is one of my favorite songs on the album, it is a dark, sexy, electro laden track about love that is surprising because it isn't a love song but more of a carnal need to be with a certain person. It is raw and real and is far from the whimsy that love songs are usually equated with. But by far my favorite song on the album is a track called 'Covered' which relays the story of a couple who are no longer together but are in a push/pull limbo about their relationship and their feelings for one another. 

Common Reaction may seem like any other elctro-pop rock album but I think it differs because these songs are universal and ambiguous at the same time. When I first listened I couldn't quite pinpoint  what each song was about or if they even made any sense but I found myself needing to continue in my discovery which I think is one of the albums greatest qualities because it allows for the listener to have room to fill in the blanks with their own experience. Plus the fact that one must listen to it more than once allows for the music to get under your skin. I listen and listen and listen and each time i discover something new that I had not heard or noticed in the listen right before. 

Please Please support this band. These women are amazingly talented and beautiful (they play their shows in heels and dresses, which is pretty impressive if you ask me). Common reaction has earned a spot in my favorite albums list and Uh Huh Her has slowly become the band I talk about and listen to the most. 

so do me and yourself a favor click the link and discover the wonder!



No comments:

Post a Comment