3.09.2009

Good Bye!


So, last night I said good bye to one of my favorite tv shows, The L Word. I began watching the series based on my friend Andrea's recommendation and boy am I glad I listened. I remember finding the series online and watching all of the episodes I could in a matter of a few days. I was completely engrossed by the stories and characters, which I will be frank in saying surprised me. I was surprised because I found myself connecting to a group of lesbian characters. 

You see lesbian subject matter has been a bit of a sore spot for me in the past because of a rumor that went around about me being a lesbian... the rumor caused me to have a strained relationship with my mom and also had effects on my friendship with the woman who was allegedly my "girlfriend" (she by the way was not). It wasn't the fact that the rumor was about me being a lesbian because if I identified myself as a lesbian then I would be proud of that. The soreness came really from the lack of understanding the people around me have of the gay community. I felt as if there was something wrong with me and that should never be the case. Plus the fact that my mom became slightly estranged... that saddens me the most because she is literally my best friend. I had to then deal with the hurdle of making amends for something I had no control over. Which I can imagine is similar to the experience of someone who is actually gay.

Anyway... I began watching the series and it opened me up in a way I never thought possible. I became uniquely aware of how much we as a whole have in common with one another. The gay community faces the same challenges that society at large must face except they must face those challenges without the acceptance of society.  The L Word became for me an entry into a realization that a gay couple and a heterosexual couple face the same challenges. It became a way for me to see that love is alive in all of us no matter the shape or form it takes. That friendship and honor and loyalty is truly universal. It became a way for me to see the lesbian community as human instead of a concept.

I am so grateful to have found a TV show that could encompass everything that I think is important in story telling (as a writer this idea was the biggest draw). The characters were well rounded, developed and to a certain extent real.  For the first  five seasons of the show I felt there would be a point where I could encounter these characters in real life, from the ideal couple (Bette and Tina) who as it turns out weren't as perfect as they seemed, to the broken soul (Shane) who made mistakes but remained merciful or kind in the judging of others. Or to the comedic levity (Alice). They are alive in our lives. We can throw a stone and hit one of them in our own circle of friends.

Season Six left for me little to be desired, which happens often when a tv series is reaching its end. I think at some point the writers and producers of the show lose track of the initial excitement that comes in the creation of a story. I am sad that this show had to end in such a trite and contrived way. Nevertheless I am still grateful to have been part of the experience of a truly ground breaking series. 

It's changed me and my perception. I've grown from simply watching a television show which is not a sentiment you often hear about media and entertainment as a whole. This series has helped me to see the possibility in everything. That nothing is ever only as it seems. I am more aware and more open which to me has been the most amazing lesson. 

I hope that all of you find yourselves wanting to watch the series! It's meant alot to me as well as millions of other people world wide. Open yourselves up and discover something new

.... keep love close!
<3 

No comments:

Post a Comment